How to get rid of vaginal itching?

I have had an external vaginal itch since XXXXXXX At first, I thought it was a chigger bite because I work in the garden a lot and the itch was located on one side. Then it moved to the opposite side. It seems to be around the panty leg.. I have changed all soaps, detergents, lotions to mild for sensitive skin since the itch started. I do not have a vaginal discharge. I thought maybe it was a yeast infection and treated it 2x with Monistat. I have gone through 3 tubes of OTC vaginal itch cream. The itch appears worse after a hot shower, at bed time and when I wake up..My husband and I checked with a xxx lens for mites. I do remember in XXXXXXX having to use a public toilet after some not so clean people had just left. Since the itch hasn't spread to other parts of my body, I figured it wasn't scabies. I do not have diabetes nor dry skin. I just have this intense itch that is worse some day than others. Any idea on how to get rid of it. I do eat yogurt 2 to 3 x a wk.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: lichen sclerosis,tenovate cream. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to health care magic. Common causes for vaginal itching like yeast,scabies,mite etc have already been ruled out by you. Considering your age Itching is most probably due to lichen sclerosis. It is a condition occurring in menopausal women . Hormonal imbalance probably plays some role in this type of itching. For treatment you need to apply a potent topical steroid like tenovate for 1 to 2 weeks.Apply it with caution since it can lead to other side effects. A sedative antihistaminic like atrax at night will also help. In case there is relapse,consulting a dermatologist will be a better option. I hope this will help you.In case of any concerns I will be happy to help you.Take care.
Follow-up: How to get rid of vaginal itching? 1 hour later
Thank you for your timely reply..I will follow up with a dermatologist. I have not noticed the white bumps or patches. But, have experienced the cracked skin a couple of times. I have been reading a lot about this condition tonight and will follow up. This is my first experience with an online Dr. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 10 hours later
Brief Answer: consulting a dermatologist is better. Detailed Answer: Hello,Thanks for feed back.My opinion was based on case history and your age .It is always better to consult a dermatologist and start early treatment as it can lead to vaginal atrophy.Please let me know once you consult the doctor.Take care.