Type 2 diabetic, high BP and spinal degenerative disc disorder. Chiggers on lower shin and purple colour. Worried?

I am a 43 year old male with type 2 diabetic and high blood pressure and I also spinal degenerative disk disorder I take morphine 30 mg extend release taps 2x a day my question is I think I chiggers about 5 days ago on my right lower shin I doctor it benydral cream after I took a shower and went to bed I woke up scratching it in my sleep well the day I wasn't thinking and cross my legs now I have it on the back of my left leg it is not oozing anything anymore but it has a dark purple color to both of kinda like a real bad bruise I have been cortisone 10 on it seems to be a little better but worried about the purple color the spots are about 2 inch long and 3/4 inch wide I was wondering way it is so purple I have chiggers before but not this problem with it has been about 5 days now shouldn't it the purplenes be getting lighter by now getting kinda worried .
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment for chiggers bite

Detailed Answer:

Good morning to you.

I am Dr. (Col) R Karanwal, M.D. (Internal Medicine), Consultant Physician with more than 25 years' experience in my specialty, and am available for your assistance.

I fully appreciate your concerns.

Regarding your query, my observations and advice is as follows :-

* Having gone through the details provided and the attached image of the lesions, I strongly feel that there is nothing to concerned about.

* Firstly, chigger bites take about 2 weeks to resolve. It starts with intense itching and blister formation; once the blisters rupture, they leave purple/dark brown-reddish patches, which is due to oozing of blood in the skin. These patches take around 10-14 days to disappear.

* The irritation and itching will be controlled with daily use of oral Cortisol (you are already taking and may be gradually tapered off), as well as local application of creams that contain cortisol; anti-histaminics in effective doses; and, local application of Calamine lotion 2-3 times a day. Please continue these till such time itching disappears. Your doctor will know about these medicines and will prescribe them in appropriate doses.

* At times, constant scratching over the affected area for relief from intense itching, there may be abrasions in the skin, with consequent bacterial infection. Hence, please wash the affected areas repeatedly with cold water and soap. In the event of developing secondary bacterial infection, you may kindly contact your doctor who will prescribe a short course of an appropriate antibiotic.

* At the same, please do wash your clothes (worn on the day you had gone out when chiggers had bitten you) in hot water to kill them if there are any still lodged in your clothes.

* May I assure you again that the purplish spots will disappear in 10-14 days' time, with the treatment given above.

* Lastly, I will also advise you to kindly ensure strict control of diabetes and high blood pressure. There may be increased chances of delayed healing and secondary bacterial infection at the lesion sites, in case your diabetes is uncontrolled.

I hope that I have answered your query.

Please feel free to revert back to me in case of further clarifications, if any. I will be most pleased to offer my utmost assistance.

On the other hand, if you feel that you are satisfied with my answer and have no further clarification, you may close the conversation and rate my answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and a good health.

Fond Regards,

Dr.(Col) R Karanwal
M.D. (Internal Medicine)

NOTE : In case you wish to know my credentials, you are most welcome to visit my website : WWW.WWWW.WW