How to get pregnant despite irregular periods?

Mar 2013
Hi,iam a married lady of 27 years of age,married for the last two years,i have been facing problems in terms of iregularity in my periods cycle,there have been times where i had iregular periods and at times regular with heavy outflow,last year i consulted doctor and started taking novelon which brought regularity in my peroods,i stopped taking novelon from the month of december 2013,had normal periods in december 2013,but iam facing trouble from XXXXXXX 2014 had periods onfrom 16th XXXXXXX in a lighter manner,again perids started on 29th XXXXXXX from 29th XXXXXXX periods is happening in a lighter manner and it has not stopped from then,after consulting doctor i started taking duphaston 2 times a day but my period has not stopped and rather the bleeding has increased from yesterday,ihave increased my consumption of duphaston from 2 to 3 times from yesterday and from today along with that i have stsrted taking trapic mf 3 times a day (both meficines taken post consultation with foctor) Iam 5'1'' and 64 kgs in weight ,have undergone USG in the month of nov as per doctor's instruction and there was not any major concern in that report Kindly guide what i shoul do now,iam very keen on pregnancy.pls suggest
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. You should get yourself thoroughly evaluated for the cause of irregular periods. I think you must be having PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is a condition of baseline hormonal imbalance, in which the ovaries get studded with multiple small follicles. None of them get matured to form a dominant egg follicle, so ovulation is erratic and cycles are irregular as a result. Other than that, uncontrolled hypothyroidism can cause your symptoms. Also, endometrial hyperplasia ( thickening of the lining of the uterus due to hormonal imbalance ) could be responsible. Since you are keen to conceive, please consult an Infertility Specialist, and get the following workup done - 1. Thorough internal check up - per vaginum and per speculum. 2. Pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally. 3. Hormonal levels - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, Free testosterone, Lipid Profile. This will reveal a diagnosis. Generally, for PCOS , weight loss helps a lot. Your BMI is 26.6 , which is overweight , so please aim at weight reduction via exercise and dietary modification. Drugs like Metformin will help in weight loss and regulating cycles. Please undergo a cycle of follicular monitoring ( tracking of the growth of the egg follicle by serial ultrasound scans ). If a problem in ovulation is observed, then drugs like clomiphene citrate are given to stimulate ovarian development and maturation of the eggs. Please undergo the workup as outlined. If you have any reports, please upload them so that I can go through them. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.