How much should be the medicine dosage for heart conditions?

Hi my lanoxin levels were 0.5 my doctor told me two take two aday i take 0.125 thats a total of 0250 just one day for 10 days at day 4 was having blood pressues issues so kip a dose today .........i take a med call metoprolol...........i think my cardiogist put me on a low that correct a 0.5 while takng that med normal lanoxin as you is 0.8 level
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks or the query. I have read your query and feel that your cardiologist is the right person to decide about the dosage of the digoxin and in general the recommended dosage is 125 microgram to 250 microgram. The dosage of digoxin is dependent upon various factors like your age,weight,renal functions,level of potassium in your body,concomitant medications and the disease for which you are taking it. The dose is different if you are taking it for heart failure and it becomes different if ypu are taking it for control of heart rate as in chronic fibrillation. Since the therapeutic index of digoxin is very narrow ( it means margin between effectiveness and toxicity ),your cardiologist has to be very cautious in deciding about your dose. In general the dosage is adjusted in such a way that plasma concentrations are kept below .8 microgram/ L. In my opinion,it would be best to discuss about it with your doctor and let your doctor decide about the dosage.It does take time to adjust the exact dose in person. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks