How long after exposure to painfully loud noise can hearing loss occur?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have only 10% hearing in my left ear. The hearing loss came on suddenly about five years ago. When I was in the Air Force I worked on the flight line, where I was frequently exposed to jet engine noise. Usually the jet engines were to my left. Could my hearing loss be service related? How long after exposure to painfully loud noise can hearlng loss occur?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes your hearing loss can be service related Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case, Yes your hearing loss can be service related, Jet crafts usually have sound production of around 130 -160 db, which can cause damage to ear drum and cochlea. One study says end of their career sometimes have logged up to 30,000 flight hours. When you convert that into years, it’s almost 4 years of permanent exposure to elevated noise levels, lead to hearing loss which may not be reversible. Consulting your doctor you can confirm type of hearing loss- trauma related or senile presbycusis. Air modelling members in aviation club that are exposed to noise during aviation activities without protection are at high risk of noise induced hearing loss. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.