Ask a Dentist   »  

How is gliding of joints in the neck treated ?

I am a 21 year old male and recently I've been having issues with my neck. Every so often if I turned my neck it would make these crunching noises and would continue to do so until i stopped turning my neck for awhile. It doesn't hurt at all but it's created all sorts of symptoms such as dizzyness after i eat/drink and dizzyness from turning my neck. (I have done a blood test and I do not have an problems with high blood pressure or diabetes) Also I seem to have hand. I seem to be getting motion sickness/vertigo a lot more often now also. What could be the issue here? I keep trying to push my local GP that it should be checked out but they kept regarding it as "nothing serious". Thanks.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The crackling noise in the neck is the gliding of joints as you turn your neck.
If your joint has been injured or becomes inflamed, the surface may thicken, creating a rubbing sound as you move. A course noise may indicate more advanced changes in the surfaces of one or more joints. Such changes can be caused by osteoarthritis (OA) or spondylotic changes.

OA can happen from normal wear and tear or changed joint alignment (due to an injury, or when your muscles are tense or in spasm, or from poor spine postures that have been used over the years). A physical therapy program to improver posture and muscle balance can improve movement in your neck and may help stop the noise.

Dizziness, vertigo and symptoms that you are feeling can also be attributed to OA or spondylosis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: How is gliding of joints in the neck treated ? 22 hours later
Hi, thanks for the reply. Is the OA or Spondylosis causing this dizzyness due to eating or drinking also? I noticed that this doesn't happen always, and it tends to happen more when I eat hot foods/soups.

Will these symptoms go away if I do a physical therapy program (and the other things you suggested)? I'm finding it harder to focus/concentrate because of this dizzyness that happens almost daily.

And lastly, what long term effects would there be if I just left it as it is? Would there be any serious effects such as disabilities (inability to walk etc)?

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
Dizziness while eating or drinking hot food may be due to the vagal stimulation of the heart which lies near oesophagus. This is usually a harmless association.
Physical therapy is extremely helpful in reducing the symptoms.
For dizzyness it is best if you consult your physician and get a cardiac work up done.
On long term, it may increase if not restricted now and might lead to nerve compressions of the hand and vertigo. It is not likely to affect the legs.
Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.