How is bartholins cyst and folliculitis treated ?

Im a 45 year old women! Have not had sex since my divorce in 2004! I have a couple of bumps on my vagina since feb of this year. As of monday this week I woke up in the middle of the nite with a itching feeling down there, Thought it was a yeast infection, by wed vagina swelled and clear fluids running burns and back hurts and inner upper theghs are swelled. What could this be?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 32 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The first possibility which could be going on in your case is what is called a Bartholins cyst. This is a swelling that occurs in the vagina which can gradually progress over time. It can cause a significant amount of associated pain and sometimes itching. Sometimes these will resolve over a short period of time with gentle supportive care including warm soaks in the bathtub. Sometimes however if physician may need to examine you and provide a prescription for a medication such as an antibiotic. On some occasions also a physician may need to do a small surgical procedure to drain the cyst.

The other possibility would be an information of follicles in the scan in that area. This is referred to as folliculitis. This is also treated with supportive care including warm soaks in a bathtub or sometimes antibiotics.

I would recommend that for the time being you try taking some warm soaks twice a day for a few days. If the symptoms do not resolve I think you really need to make an appointment to see your doctor to have a thorough comprehensive examination and consultation.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Dr. Robert.