How is a ruptured ear drum cured ?

my 16 year old son ruptured his ear drum with a fall from wake boarding. It is draning slightly with clear fluid and some blood. Can he continue his regular sports activities while it is healing?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 49 minutes later

1. Keep the ear clean and dry while it is healing.
2. Place cotton balls in the ear while showering or shampooing to prevent water from entering the ear. 3. Avoid swimming or putting his head underneath the water.Sometimes the health care provider may 4. Place a patch over the eardrum to speed healing.
5. Antibiotics (oral or ear drops) may be used to prevent infection or to treat an infection you already have.
6. Painkillers (analgesics), including over-the-counter medications, may be used to relieve pain.
7. Surgical repair of the eardrum (tympanoplasty) may be needed if the eardrum does not heal on its own.

These measures will aid in healthy recovery. Rest of his activities including sports activity may be normal.

Long term infection, hearing loss, vertigo requires immediate medical attention. Watch out for these symptoms.

Hope I have provided an adequate answer to your query. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available to address them.