Ask a Dentist   »  

How do I know if my tooth is broken?

Question
How do I know if my tooth is broken? The back tooth where the pain comes from is a root canal tooth - am I going to feel any pain considering I don't have nerves anymore in this tooth? I have to fly tomorrow at 7AM ... Thanks
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
Hello.

The broken tooth in the first place is always associated with a XXXXXXX pain.

Secondly, if you try to eat with a broken tooth, mastication may cause a crepitating sound or feeling. If you notice them, it may indicate that the tooth could be broken.

Dental X-ray, at last will be the confirmatory test to prove if your tooth is broken or intact.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: How do I know if my tooth is broken? 1 hour later
The tooth that I think is broken is a root canal tooth - in theory there's no nerves in this tooth - so will I feel a lot of pain if I fly with a broken tooth because of the change in pressure?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

Yes. In a root canal all the nerves supplying or passing through the root of the tooth are destroyed. So, even if your tooth is broken, you are not likely to feel much of pain. But on XXXXXXX pressure, some pain sensation might be felt. Change in pressure does not cause any extra pain.