How can severe dysmenorrhea with a family history of retroverted uterus be treated?

Severe dysmenorrhea. Only last the very first day, Includes intense pelvic pain and vomiting. I generally miss work and end up on my floor laying for comfort. Only mild pain remains on the 2nd day and by the third day there is no pain.
Had low progesterone levels for a short time, due to chronic stress. Pain was present before progesterone issues. Remember pains beginning after becoming sexually active.

Ultrasound confirmed retrovered uterus.

Mother had a retroverted uterus and similiar issues in her 20's.

Interested in a uterine uplift
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query,

I would not consider the progesterone levels being cause of the problem by any chance here.

Yes, dysmenorrhea is a commonest presentation in retroverted uterus.

Retroverted uterus as such do not need any treatment or correction, as it may not pose any risk into fertility .If pregnant the retroversion will get corrected in first few weeks on its own.

The treatment options for such an deviation in uterine position are conservative measures like a Pessary and by surgery.

Consult your gynecologist to get a Pessary suitable to you and for guidance on how to use the same.

Meanwhile you can take antispasmodics like Dicyclomin or Hyoscine derivatives to alleviate the pain whenever you get.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.