How can one keep up with ovulation while the menstrual cycle varies from month to month?

I am 28 yrs old, about 5'8 173 lbs and in pretty good health. My question is how can one keep up with ovulation while the mentural cycle varies from month to month?
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

There are several ways to montior WHEN you ovulate. The first day of your cycle is day1. Most women ovulate on day14. Here are some signs:

1. Mid cycle pain or cramping (associated with one cyst getting bigger that will release the egg)
2. Mid cycle change in cervical mucus to a more clear / stringy discharge
3. In some cases, mid cycle spotting (related to a brieft, abrupt drop in estrogen)
4. Detection of a surge in LH hormone associated with ovulation (can be detected in urine)

The irregularity in your cycle should be addressed with your doctor. Part of the workup involves checking for thyroid disase, elevated prolactin levels and PCOS. But, the methods above might give you some sense of WHEN or IF you are ovulating and how well you are timing intercourse.

I hope this helps - DR XXXXXX