How can a painful lump in my toe be treated?

Question
I'm 26 years old and have a pea-sized lump on my second toe. I've had it for several years but now it has become painful and it is difficult for me to move my toe.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 34 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Is the lump soft to touch or hard in consistency?
2)     Is the lump accompanied by any thickenings in areas of pressure?
3)     Is the lump mobile to touch?

From the symptoms that you have described it can be a ganglion or mucocutaneous cyst, corn or a hammer toe deformity (wearing poorly fitting shoes that can force the toe into a bent position) but it is a less likely possibility. Ganglion cysts and corn are basically painless and present as masses of tissues filled with fluid. But if it is painful then it could be pushing against a joint or tendon.

I suggest you to get it examined from an orthopedician as diagnosis is important for treatment. If it is a cyst then it may need to be drained or a steroid medication injected. But if it is a corn then using keratolytic agents, rubbing with pumice stone and removal by surgical means may be required. Till then you should wear well-fitting, comfortable shoes and change the socks twice. Also apply warm compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How can a painful lump in my toe be treated? 4 hours later
Thank you for your response. To answer your above questions as best as I can, the lump is hard and the toe looks 'normal' compared to the other toe (e.g. not bent or anything) except for the lump. If I apply pressure to the lump, that also causes pain.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the clarification. From the symptoms that you have described, it looks like a ganglion cyst or a myxoid cyst. Myxoid cyst is formed from degeneration in the connective tissue and is found on the top of a toe or a finger. Ganglion cyst is a swelling that often appears on or around joints and tendons in the hand or foot.

It is painless but may be painful when it compresses an underlying nerve. Since it is painful, it needs to be removed by surgical excision. For this you need to consult a general surgeon.