How can I eat food without bloating?

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and a lot of different food I eat is causing bloating. Food such as wheat, yeast, sugar, wine, and various fried food seem to be the culprits. I am taking a probiotic pill but that doesn't seem to change the result. What can I do in order to keep enjoying the above food without suffering any further bloating?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

First of all, in Irritable Bowel Syndrome, skipping meals, low intake of fibre and fluid, excessive fatty food and high sugar intake, sensitivity to milk and other dairy products (see lactose intolerance) and excessive caffeine and alcohol should be avoided. Although you like fatty foods, but they will aggravate the symptoms.

Also make some lifestyle changes. Alterations in diet, like gradual addition of more fibre in your diet like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables & fruits can ease your symptoms. Avoid taking cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans and lentils, caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) aerated drinks, fried and spicy foods as these cause flatulence and bloating.

Also drink plenty of fluids, add fiber to your diet and get regular exercise. Also start doing daily exercises, brisk walks, XXXXXXX breathing exercises which help in preventing constipation.

For wheat and whole grains which although useful in constipation can cause bloating and flatulence, do not introduce it suddenly but gradually increase the amount of fiber in your diet over a period of weeks.

If you take a fiber supplement, such as Metamucil, be sure to introduce it gradually and drink plenty of water every day to minimize gas. Also eat yoghurt everyday and keep on taking the probiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.