How are intestinal worm infestations treated in children ?

My son is 12 years old and yesterday notice an very small brown worm in his urine just before flushing. I also saw. What should we do?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later

Seeing a small brown worm in the urine is most likely due to an intestinal worm infestation. Worms usually that inhabit the urinary bladder are not seen with naked eye. The most probable infection is bowel infection.

You now need to get a stool examination of your son done for ova, cysts and parasites under the guidance of his pediatrician. Further treatment depends on the report of stool examination. Although some pediatricians prefer to treat children with antihelminths without further testing, a simple test will reveal lot of details about the parasite.

Please do not worry as these kind of worm infestations are common and are completely curable.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.