Hit on the back of the head, large lump, headaches, sunken area. Treatment ?

Hi! I hit the back of my head in a fall 10 days ago. I had a quite large lump for a few days that went down, but had horrific headaches for several days. The area is sunken in somewhat now, and very tender to the touch. So much, that I cannot lay down on a pillow on that area. Should I get checked out?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

You have got a history of head injury with a painful lump which was probably a hematoma that subsided.

The headaches that you had would be due to raised pressure in your head due to hematoma and edema after injury.

A sunken area in a hard skull means there is fracture of your skull bones and it is compressing the brain.

I strongly recommend you to see your physician immediately to get the proper investigations like MRI of head done to assess the damage done by the injury to your brain.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.