History of vaginal bleeding, abdominal ultrasound, hysteroscopy, endometrial, hyperechoic, lesion, myoma. Cancer?

Question
hi doctor my mother 69 year old with history of vaginal bleeding over the last 7 days seen by gynecologist and she underwent trans abdominal ultrasound and hysteroscopy and biopsies her endometrium 8 mm and she got 2x2 cm hypoecho. lesion rgard as myoma. im worry about cancer
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 20 hours later
Hello ,

Is she bleeding continuously or it was post menopausal bleeding ?
As her age is 69 and if she is having continuous menstrual cycles that means it is delayed menopause.
Age of menopause is usually 45-50 years.In some cases there is delayed menopause.
Post menopausal bleeding is not a good sign.
Your mother is having myoma means benign tumour of the uterus , not cancer.
Myomas or leiomyomas or fibroids are the commonest benign growths of the uterus.
They are of three types , subserous means beneath the outermost layer , intramural means inside the muscle and subserous inside the uterine cavity as in your mother's case.They usually cause excessive bleeding and sometimes pain and require surgical removal , hysterectomy or myomectomy depending upon the age.

Your mother's endometrum is not hyperplastic means not thick so you need not worry.
I suppose the myoma was removed during hysteroscopic resection and it is her biopsy report.
In my opinion it was best to go for hysterectomy if she was fit for the surgery.
What about her ovaries and uterine size ?
If you can answer my questions I can guide you more clearly.
You don't have to worry as myoma is not cancer.
Wishing your mother good health and long life
Best regards

Follow-up: History of vaginal bleeding, abdominal ultrasound, hysteroscopy, endometrial, hyperechoic, lesion, myoma. Cancer? 11 hours later
many thanks doctor
my mother got menopause at age of 54
she was fine all the time till the last week when she got that bleeding
diagnosis of myoma was based only on radiological bases (trans abdominal ultrasound)
her histopathology still in progress needs 2-3 days more
the size and shape of both ovaries and uterus was normal based on the ultrasonography
my mother health status is good she got a well controlled mild hypertension with a good performance status

my best regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 15 minutes later
Hello ,
Post menopausal bleeding causes a little concern.
Fractional curettage or D&C should be done to rule out any carcinoma of the body of uterus.
Wait for histopathology reports.It must be an endometrial polyp.
I will be waiting for your answer when you get the biopsy report.
Best wishes

Follow-up: History of vaginal bleeding, abdominal ultrasound, hysteroscopy, endometrial, hyperechoic, lesion, myoma. Cancer? 47 hours later
Hi doctor
Today i recieved the histopath report as
Poorly diff carcinoma of D&C biopsy
I dont know what shall we do before the surgery
Best regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 13 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX ,

Post menopausal bleeding usually indicates carcinoma of uterus.
Most common cancer is adenocarcinoma , if it is poorly differentiated it is grade II.
Treatment is usually hysterectomy removing the uterus , cervix , adenexae, pelvic and aortic lymph nodes.
Radiation is given after surgery.
You have to consult an oncologist along with Gynaecologist.

I wish you good health

God bless you