History of renal fissurectomy, tear in sphincter. Have soft stools. Taken Imodium. Help

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have had rectal/anal issues since 1980 when I had a rectal fissurectomy which resulted in a tear in my sphincter. About 2005, I had this repaired and occasions of fecal incontinence improved greatly. However, I frequently have a soft, formed bowel movement but when I wipe, the stool is smeared up my cleft! This in the first wipe, I am not smearing it. Help? BTW, I take two imodium BID to help control the loose stools.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in

Have you ever gone for a stool examination ?

How long have you been on imodium ?

Any other medications apart from these ?

Get back to me with this information & I will help you out

Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: History of renal fissurectomy, tear in sphincter. Have soft stools. Taken Imodium. Help 43 minutes later
Yes, stool is fine. Been on this dose of imodium since Rounex-Y Gastroplasty 2004. Also take: Seroquel, Viibryd, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Cytomel, Synthroid, Zocor, Estrovin, XXXXXXX D3.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later

Thanks your your followup query

I would suggest you go for a good probiotic twice a day for four to six weeks

Along with it a two week treatment with Rifaximin a good GI Antiseptic would be of help

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Wishing you a speedy recovery