History of monkey bite. Applied Betnisol and Limestone powder. Any chance of rabies?

Oncologist, Surgical

This happened to me 15 years ago. I am not sure whether i was bitten by a monkey in my hand, I cleaned the area immediately and applied the Betnisol Oinment and Limestone powder. Is there any chances of getting affected by rabies after 15 years ?? Can I take rabies prevention medicine now ?

Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 4 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for asking your query at XXXXXXX There are no chances of getting rabies after 15 years of a monkey bite. Symptoms of rabies start with days or weeks of the bite and no cases have been reported after such a long period.
You can take rabies vaccination if you are exposed to pets, animals. Otherwise the only indication is once you have been bitten recently by an animal.

There is no need to worry about rabies now. Hope I have answered your query.