Do i need to get rabies vaccine shots for pain on palm after playing with pet puppy not vaccinated?
User rating for this question
Hi Doctor, I was playing around with my puppy about five months old when it tried biting me on the left palm. I shook it off in time and there's no visible marks, wounds or blood but a small particular spot seems to be a bit painful if pressure is applied. Maybe it is just in my head that i feel my left arm feels a bit weak too. I immediately flush my hands with antiseptic liquids right after then wash it with soap in warm water for 5 to 8 minutes. The puppy has received no shots but is very healthy and not vicious. Do i need to get rabies vaccine shots? Please, am sort of freaking out.
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX From your description, the dog bite did not puncture your skin to reach the blood. Also the pup is your pet and you have been observing it. The pup seems healthy from your description. The risk of infection from rabies is minimal. I personally do not think that you need rabies shot. Though you should get a tetanus booster shot (if it has been more than 2 - 10 yrs from previous shot depending on your immunity). I also recommend that you visit the doctor to rule out infection (other than rabies) from bite itself. Please get your pup vaccinated. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee
People also viewed
- Genital outbreak from antibacterial soap
- Alcohol after rabies vaccine
- Can i use dettol antibacterial soap for my itchy skin?
- Smoke after rabie vaccine
- Low grade fever after giving birth
- Edema after giving birth
- Roadside dog puppy teeth to me anti rabies
- Diet after dog bite
- After effects of rabies vaccine
- Crystal meth and bv antibiotics
- What will happen beer after typhoid
- Numbness after rabies vaccine
- Oral thrush and diarrhea after binge drinking
- Antibiotics and crystal meth user
- Diet after rabies vaccination