History of asthma. 30 weeks pregnant. Having sinus problem. Is it safe to use metaspray?

ENT Specialist
Hi doc,
i am 30 weeks pregnant and have come down with severe cold. my OBGYN prescribed me to take the antibiotics MONOCEF-O. i completed 5 days dosage of 2 tabs daily 200gms, but the problem still persists. Now i have Sinus problems. in past i had problems with my Sinusitis. at present i am feeling the below uncomfortable symptoms
1. My glands next to the tonsils are still swollen
2. i feel pressure behind my ears( kind of like when u sit on a plane or go to a higher altitude)
3. My sinus are aching
4. Blocked /stuffy/itchy nose

I am taking this tablet Sinus 77 which my Gynae said is safe to take during pregnancy, but this also provides relief for a shorter time.

Can you help me with some medications for the symptoms?since i already completed the dosage of antibiotics i dont want to take them again. i was using a spray called METASPRAY before my pregnancy to control the allergic rhinitis... is it safe to use now that i am 30 weeks pregnant?i also have a history of Asthma.

Appreciate your help on this.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that you have a problem of allergic rhinitis and recurrent sinusitis in past.

Normally, sinuses are air filled spaces in the bones of face and skull. These sinuses open in the lateral wall of nose. The secretions in the sinuses drain in the nose which goes to the posterior end of nose and are swallowed. At times of infection there is collection of secretions in sinuses and blockade of the opening of sinuses. This gives a feeling of heaviness in head or headache. Once the infection goes to posterior end of nose and throat it may cause involvement of ear (As a tube called eustachian tube which connects ear and throat , opens here). The infection can travel to ear and cause pain in ear, heaviness and even deafness.
Pregnancy also causes nasal congestion because of the hormones level in blood.

The treatment involves medical treatment and minor surgical procedures. You have already taken antibiotics (one course).

It will be appropriate to get a ENT consultation, nasal swab for culture and sensitivity. Prescribing medicines will not work considering you have already taken quite a good antibiotic and there was no response. Besides this if there is collection of pus in sinuses you may need a small surgical internvention (Antral wash) or FESS (middle meatal antrostomy)

As we get the report of culture and sensitivity we can decide on the choice of antibiotic. I would also advise you for topical decongestants (otrivin nase drops 2 to three times a day for 3 to 5 days). As this phase passes and your pregnancy is over we can think of the further treatment (Get a CT scan of PNS done so that we can decide about the further course of action to avoid recurrent infections). Please avoid using nasal spray you are using till your infection is treated. Steroid nasal spray may cause infection to flare up.

I hope this answers your concerns
Feel free to contact me if you need more help about it

with warm regards
Ravinder Sharma