Hip and leg pain, watery brown discharge, abdominal bloating and cramps after periods. What could this be?

Question
Hello for the past 3months after my period i have had hip and leg pain. Watery brown discharge, blood when i wipe with abdominal bloating and cramps lasting a week after my period. What could this be?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

First I have a few questions:
1. How old are you?
2. Has this gotten worse with each cycle?
3. Have the cycles themselves changed at all?
4. Have you ever been pregnant before?

Thank you.

Follow-up: Hip and leg pain, watery brown discharge, abdominal bloating and cramps after periods. What could this be? 17 minutes later
i am 30 no it stays the same. the cycle for the first two months came dark for the first day and half but this past month it was regular. i have been pregnant but had to abort it.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Thank you for the clarification.

So you are a 30 year old, with a 3 month history of watery brown / bloody discharge during the week following your period. This is also associated with bloating, cramping and hip/leg pain - I hope that I got this right.

In the setting of otherwise regular cycles, the onset of irregular bleeding and discharge might point to some anatomical change, such as a polyp or a fibroid. While infections of the vagina and uterus are also a possibility, they would not be associated with long periods of no symptoms leading up to your cycle. For this reason, I would assume that this might represent some identifiable problem that is best evaluated with:
1. An exam
2. An ultrasound of the uterus
3. If this is unrevealing and the symptoms persist, then a procedure called a 'hysteroscopy' where a camera is placed inside of the uterus

I hope that this helps and good luck!