Heart bypass surgery done. Taking matilda forte, creslip and betaone XL 50. Is it safe to use viagra?

Cardiologist
Question
I went through a heart bypass in the year 1996. I regularly take the following drugs -
1.Matilda Forte 2. Creslip 3. Carnisure 500 4.Betaone XL 50 5.Clavix and 6. Zoryl 0.25mg (I am diabetic type 2). I want to use Viagra. I am told it is risky for heart patients using drugs containing nitrate. May I have your opinion please. Regards.
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist.
I read your question with diligence and I understand your problem.
Described heart side effects of Viagra after it was marketed had been:
Rare but serious adverse effects found through postmarketing surveillance include priapism (swelling of penis due to accumulation of blood) severe hypotension (fall in blood pressure) myocardial infarction (heart attack), ventricular arrhythmias (heart beating out of rhythm)

So, in your case it is a calculated risk in taking viagra for I find you are not getting angina and you are not been prescribed nitrates or nitroglycerine. In the later situation it was not possible for me to say yes. I am assuming that you can climb 2 flight of stairs (normal height) without getting out of breath.

Take you blood pressure before taking Viagra. If it is normal and if you are otherwise relaxed and want to have sex with a known partner and in relaxed environment (home is the best) please take a single tablet (NOT MORE THAN 25 mg first time take 10 mg) half an before and use it not more than once a week. That only if you did not feel any problem with first experience. If you had even a small problem than avoid it. Lastly, your partner should be aware that whom to contact in case of emergency though fact about viagra need not be disclosed. For same problems can occur with some heart disease patients in normal sexual intercourse. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW