Hearing cracking noises while moving neck. Have I damaged something or is this age related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Recently I moved my head from side to side and around as one would do in a dance. That was several months ago. However since then I noticed that often when I just turn my neck around normally I hear
a cracking noise. Others can hear it also, so I was wondering if I damaged something or is that age related as I turned 70 this past March. Is that something that I need to do concerning this condition?
It doesn't hurt, but I often hear the cracking noise.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The crackling noise in the neck is the gliding of joints as you turn your neck. If your joint has been injured or becomes inflamed, the surface may thicken, creating a rubbing sound as you move. A courser noise may indicate more advanced changes in the surfaces of one or more joints. Such changes can be caused by osteoarthritis (OA) or spondylottic changes. These are age related degenerative changes of these joints.
OA can happen from normal wear and tear or changed joint alignment (due to an injury, or when your muscles are tense or in spasm, or from poor spine postures that have been used over the years). A physical therapy program to help with your posture and muscle balance can improve movement in your neck and may help stop the noise.
You can avoid any abnormal neck positions and avoid using a pillow till then.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.