Heard something crack after using nail filer to remove blackhead on nostrils. What is wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Last night I was using a metal nail filer to press on my right nostril to get rid of a black head. I heard something crack and now that side of my nose is flat. It has been more than 12 hours and the nostril on that side looks and feels like it has lost it's shape. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to reduce depressed fragment

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your history there can be injury to nasal cartilage or may be bone.
I will advise you to get x-ray done and confirm is there any depression of bone on affected side.
You can consult an ENT surgeon if any reduction of depressed fragment is necessary.
Till time maintain cleanliness and avoid infection in nasal area.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.