Heard a loud pop and pain behind the knee and down outside of calf. Which specialist should I consult?

Exercised early this morning..kokofit .weights were increased to 80 pounds for squats. Two hours later had to do a little running up and then down sloped road... Then heard a loud pop and pain behind the knee and down outside of left calf...can't bear the weight except on ball of foot . Repeated ice, elevated and antiinflammatories taken. . Should I follow up with orthopod visit ? How soon...?
Synthroid not. Synthesis, and 1.75 dosage. Otherwise in good helth
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Exercise
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query in detail. You have not written anything whether your pain reduces after elevation and ice fermentation or not? Does swelling increasing or decreasing? Severity of pain?
You have done a right thing by elevation of the part and taking anti-inflammatory drug with cold fermentation.
Now about the condition in which you must need an orthopaedic consultation or you need to go to emergency are:
1. If swelling and severity of the pain increasing or same after 5-6 hours of injury or if it continues for more than 3 days after following all precautions.
2. If you feel any deformity or fever or any discolouration of the part or toes nails?
3. If not able to wear a little weight on leg and pain increasing even in slight movement of the limb.

As you are post menopausal women of 56 and slightly overweight, you have more chances of osteoporosis of bone and even a slight injury is to taken seriously. If you found any of the above said conditions than immediately consult your orthopaedic doctor and get your X-ray done.
Till than keep your part elevated and immobilized so that injury may not increases.
Hope you got your answer. Write back if you have any further query. I will be happy to answer them.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh