Headaches, vision problems, fatigue, hot and cold sensations, postpartum problems

Post-Partum Difficulties :

My wife is having terrible difficulties following our second child. She has been in and out of the hospital for hyper and hypo tension. During these hospital visits they discovered she has MTHFR on two genes. Her blood pressure is now stable but she is not. She suffers from constant headaches, vision problems, fatigue, “hot and cold” sensations in her head (right side almost always). MRA and MRI were negative, no signs of stroke or heart attack. The neurologist reviewed her and stated that there is nothing wrong although living with her I can tell you there is The only abnormal tests at all were her Mono% (CBC) and the MTHFR. We are following up at XXXXXXX Town but have gotten nowhere as of yet. We have all hospital records and lab results and will share them upon request. Her symptomology and back story are too long to fit in the 200 character limit…!
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

From the information that you have submitted, it looks to me more like a psychological problem rather than true neurological illness in her. The presence of MHTFR mutations on two genes does not bother me unless her homocysteine levels are elevated, which can be easily treated with medications.

So I personally feel she is suffering from psychogenic headaches along with probable features of fibromyalgia and post partum depression. She requires good evaluation from the clinical psychologist as well as a psychiatrist.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your specialist.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns, I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist