Head injury, swollen, lump present in a child. Is it normal?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hi I sent you a previous message reg my 2 year old daughter, she hit the front of her head in between her eyebrow area, she fell into a glass unit, it was bruised for a good few days and swollen, but otherwise she was fine, this happened a few months ago, but when I rub across her head I can still feel a slight lump it is hard like the bone, it's not visible to see but I'm aware of it being there. Is TGIs normal that she still has this lump under her skin all this time after the injury ??
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later

The development of bruising immediately after the injury suggests that the impact was severe. A severe impact leads to development of a blood clot or hematoma under the layers of the scalp (skin covering of the skull).

It will take its own time to resolve and disappear, which may range from 6 months to more than a year if it is large. At times, it can also get calcified as well giving rise to an elevation.

In children of this age, it disappears without leaving any scarring whatsoever. Therefore, you need not worry about it now.

I hope this answers your doubt.

With regards

Follow-up: Head injury, swollen, lump present in a child. Is it normal? 29 minutes later
Thank you very much for your advice and I feel better now! But when you say a blood clot or hematoma under the skin could this travel into the brain ?

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 15 minutes later
If your child has had no neurological symptoms since the fall then there is no chance of there being a clot of blood within the skull around the brain. In children, the skull bones are not as hard as in adults, so the chances of intracranial blood clots are extremely less. In children there is no delayed hematoma formation as seen in older individuals.
You do not have to worry now at all. There is no way by which the blood clot can reach the brain.
I hope that relieves you of your stress.
With regards

Follow-up: Head injury, swollen, lump present in a child. Is it normal? 3 hours later
Thank you very much all the information I have received has put my mind at ease

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 26 minutes later
I am happy that you are relieved of your stress pertaining to you daughter's health problem.

If you wish to ask me any questions in future, please post it through my profile here. WWW.WWWW.WW
Please complete the feedback form online.

With regards