Head injury, bleeding, bump, want to sleep, cannot stay awake. What do we need to do?

My boyfriend was outside and was working on our shed and a XXXXXXX came down and got him on the top of the head and it's bleeding and has a huge bump and now all he want to do is sleep what do we need to do I really can't get him to stay awake
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) may result in a bad headache, altered levels of alertness, or unconsciousness (only in severe cases). It temporarily interferes with the way your brain works, and it can affect memory, judgment, reflexes, speech, balance, coordination, and sleep patterns.
From your description, it seems that your boy friend has suffered a serious head injury with concussion. It might even be a subdural hemorrhage. This problem needs an immediate medical attention and investigations like CT scan and MRI are entailed. I encourage you to consult a physician or a neurologist who can guide you through the tests. You can also attend to an ER for early diagnosis and treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.