Having surgery and had to quit smoking. What would be the impact of smoke on surgery?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hello I am having surgery and had to quit smoking cigaretts, I used to smoke 10-12 a day, I have 4 days till my tests I really need this surgery is very very important...what are the steps I can do other than quitting my last cigarette was today, that will help even more for my test on thursday...Thank you
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

It would be easier if you mention which exactly surgical procedure will be done, but as I know the only blood parameters which may verify smoking activities are nicotine and carbon monoxide which are not part of preoperative tests. I have never seen that anyone had to do these tests before surgery.

Of course, it is recommended to quit smoking to avoid lung capacity limitation and coronary diseases, but it isn't contraindication for any surgical procedure.

It is only important not to smoke or drink coffee 24 hours before tests since it can raise blood pressure. Also,you should avoid fats and sweets since it can raise blood sugar and lipids.

Wish you good health.