Having stress headache and shaking head and arms in night. Could it be a seizure?

Nov 2013

I have been having a headache for a week now. Since last Saturday (little over a week) this previous sat I had my husband rub my back and neck thinking it was stress headache. I fell asleep on the couch and I woke up in the middle of the night shaking my head and arms (from what I remember) thinking let it just go as I could not control it. Didn't seem to last long. Then I got up and went to my bed. In the morning my head felt better and yet I wasn't for sure if I had a seizure or if it was real... I have never had a seizure that I know of. My headache is still here but not as bad. In the morning I felt like I had a very good sleep but later in the day the headache has come back. Can you please help??
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be a seizure

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

It is difficult to be certain whether you had a seizure or not, however, based on the description, it does sound like a seizure. In view of recent onset headaches associated with this, I would advise a CT or MRI scan of the brain to exclude an underlying cause for the same, such as ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain), infection, tumor, etc.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: