Having stomach pain, painful gas and constipation. Had gastric bypass surgery. What could be the problem?

I had gastric bypass surgery in 2008 and lost 85lbs. I have felt fine until the last few months. I have stomach pain, painful gas and constipation. What could be the problem?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

I shall appreciate if you can let me know the following:
1. Where exactly do you feel the pain in the abdomen?
2. When does the pain occur, any relationship with meals?
3. How is the pain relieved?
4. Is the constipation of recent origin?
5. Any investigations done and if yes, their result?

It is good to know that you were fine following the surgery. The symptoms that you have mentioned may be due to a number of causes but the most common cause at your age can be gall bladder disease which can be picked up on ultrasonography.

For constipation I shall advise you to have a look at the article at

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal