Having sharp electric shock like pain in back of knee. Worrisome

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
for a short time I have had sharp "electric shock"like pains in back of knee - these eased but today have felt repeated sharp twinges at same site
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later

If it hurts in your knee, a back problem can give you pain there, just because the spine sends signals down all leg.

Medications: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce inflammation and pain; muscle relaxants; and pain killers.

Cold/heat therapy

Spinal injections

Physical therapy: stretching to increase flexibility, therapeutic exercise; posture and importance of maintaining good posture at rest, work, and during other activities.

Alternative therapies, such as acupuncture.

I advise you to visit orthopaedic surgeon for detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.