Having pressure in head with headache and blurred vision. What could be the reason?

My son head hurts all over. I think it is related to sinus, because of drainage and one time he awaken from sleep and his head and face were swollen, but this has not happened in a while. He says his head feels tight, feels like fluid is in his head moving around, and the side of his head (temple) hurts. He's not feeling dizzy or having blur vision. Please help me to understand what may be going on.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 7 hours later

Based on your description, I think your son is probably suffering with acute or chronic inflammation of the maxillary or frontal or parietal sinus. This can occur due to multiple reasons such as direct extension of dental infection; infectious diseases due to bacteria, fungus or virus such as common cold, influenza and the exanthematous diseases; from the local spread of infection in the adjoining frontal or paranasal sinuses;or from traumatic injury of the sinuses with a superimposed infection. Organisms including streptococcal pneumoniae is sometimes isolated by investigations.

Besides the infection, periapical dental infection, foreign bodies, granulomatous lesions of the nasomaxillary complex may also produce sinusitis.

Though there are numerous reasons, a detailed clinical examination and relevant tests such as blood counts, X-ray paranasal sinus, nasal swab studies (microscopy/gram staining/culture) can help us narrow down the possibility. Complete treatment can be planned according to the cause. The treatment may include:
1. Remove the infecting locus,if it is of dental infection associated.
2. Antibiotics should be administered.
3. Healing is usually uneventful when this is done.

Chronic conditions may need surgical treatments.

A qualified ENT surgeon can streamline the investigations. Therefore I urge you to visit a competent ENT surgeon whenever feasible.

Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: Having pressure in head with headache and blurred vision. What could be the reason? 14 hours later
Wow! I will definitely be looking into this. Thanks so much for your help!
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 6 hours later

Thanks for your feedback.

Hope your son gets well soon.