Having pain under ribs and had a lacerated spleen when fallen from tree. Is it fine to have two bowel movements a day? Medication?

my son is a 26 year old healthy male who for a month on and off has been having pain on his left side under ribs, the pain comes and goes, and is sharp and doesn't last long but hurts, he had a lacerated speen when he was 7 from a fall out of a tree, but never had any other complications, it is still there. He has no medical insurance, but went to an Urgent Care today, and they did an X XXXXXXX it showed fecal backed up to in colon to his stomach, but a nurse practitioner read it and examined him and said the organs seemed good. He also told them it hurts when he has to urinate and thought he might have a kidney stone, but she said she did not see any on the x XXXXXXX The urine culture came out ok, but there is microscopic blood in his urine, which he had 2 weeks ago when he had to get his CDL exam and they don't seem concerned with it. They told him to buy over the counter laxatives to try. Is this normal to have at least 2bowel movements a day, but be this impacted? She also said she did not see a blockage the colon was smooth, but there is fecal backup. Can you help?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome,

Sorry for any delay in providing you with an answer.

As your query has quite a few aspects to it, I would like to address each one individually.

First of all, the pain in the left side of the abdomen (as described by you) coupled with the presence of microscopic blood in the urine does raise the possibility of a kidney stone, especially as your son also experiences pain while passing urine. An x-ray to find a kidney stone was used previously, but due to the possibility of it not being able to visualize stones present in complicated locations, it has been replaced by other investigations like ultrasound and CT scans, I would thus, recommend any of the two investigations to find the stone and accordingly treat it.

Passing your bowels twice a day can still be considered normal, but if an erect x-ray abdomen showed some fecal retention, then the cause for this will have to be found. It is a good idea to try over the counter laxatives for a while and then re-visit the clinic for a repeat x-ray; but if the laxatives have not helped, an urgent endoscopy might be required, to find the cause as this will have to be treated as a slightly more serious condition.

I hope this information was what you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you and your son.

Best wishes.