Having pain in left hip and pelvis while coughing. Chances of ulcer in intestine?

I am a 41 year old female. i have been having pain in my left hip and pelvis area for 5-6 weeks now. the pain is worse when i cough or sneeze, i want to scream when i sneeze or cough, the pain also comes on with any movement, even while sleeping, but much worse with sneezing or coughing. What can this be? What could be causing my hip and pelvis pain that worsens with movement or sneezing or coughing? i also have been having pain in my stomach all across my mid line, feels like intestines, i have been having this problem since may. it almost feels like i have a whole or ulcer in my intestines.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXX,
The location of the pain and the fact that it gets
worse on sneezing and coughing leads to possibility
that you may have a hernia.If you place your hand
in that area while you are coughing or sneezing
or just straining and feel a bulge or a lump, you
can confirm this.That is called a femoral hernia.
The ulcer pains are different.Pain is in the upper
abdomen and is usually related to meals.If the
ulcer is in the duodenum, gets better after food
but if it is a gastric ulcer food does not make a
I would advice you to see your doctor who can
Check you for the hernia. If you have it and have the symptoms
that you have, you may need surgery.

Iwould advice you to go see your doctor
Follow-up: Having pain in left hip and pelvis while coughing. Chances of ulcer in intestine? 2 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXX S. Narasi, Is this type of hernia dangerous? What kind of test, ex-ray would show this type of hernia? The pain started in my left hip and pelvic area, and after having the pain for weeks, i asked my husband if he could please rub the hip, i thought it was bone pain, after he rubbed the hip/pelvic left side, the next day i noticed pain when i sneezed or coughed. So is there any specific ex-ray or ct or mri that would confirm or deny if i have a femoral hernia? Thanks Dr.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 8 hours later
Hello, XXXXXX,
This type of hernia cannot be seen on X-ray studies.
Only direct examination by the physician can detect
the small defect that he can feel after he makes you
cough or strain. It will be felt by him when he inserts
his finger .
The hernia is not XXXXXX unless it is large and part
of the intestine gets stuck and gets obstructed.
Wish you well.