Having lump on labia. Labia swollen. Noticed pus after pressing it. What should I do?

Hi, I have a small bump on my labia, near the clitoris. The labia is not swollen. While cleaning it, I pressed it and pus came out of it, cloudy at first then clear. What else if anything should I do?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
A small bump near the clitoris with pus inside can be due to many reasons.The most common reasons can be-
1. Folliculitis - due to an infected hair follicle. Usually has pus inside and needs an antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug for treatment.
2. Sebaceous cyst- due to a blocked sebaceous gland. The secretions start collecting inside and becomes painful.
Since the pus has been removed, you can apply an antiseptic ointment on the area like Neosporin.
Along with this you can take oral analgesic and anti-inflammatory drugs twice a day.
If the bump reappears or the pain or swelling is persistent then after consulting your doctor you may get some systemic antibiotics prescribed.
Till then you can take general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.