Having lump on forehead due to injury. Found enlarged. Having slight fever. Normal?

my toddler fell 2 years ago when she was 2 and the Dr said she's responding to her name and walking to me and did not find any reason to be alarmed and sent us on our way. Currently the head enjury resurfaced and never went away, however the lump on her forhead and enlarges last night along with her having a slight feaver of a high tempurature of 99.4 and I noticed that where her lump was from her previous injury enlarged that could have been promoted by a fever...
is this normal? Will the lump ever go away?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 29 minutes later

Thank you for choosing to address your daughter's concerns on XXXXXXX I am Dr Taher and I would try and reply to your question as best as possible through this method of an internet consultation.

First of all, it is very essential that we try and determine exactly what happened 2 years ago. It appears that although there was an external lump, the child suffered what is called a "concussion"; in such cases, a brief injury to the brain causes a temporary swelling of the brain, followed by a return to normal within 48-96 hours and no residual problems after recovery.

If my appraisal is correct, then a "recurrence" of the old injury is not possible. It is likely that the lump is caused by a fresh injury or, if it has never totally disappeared, it is a localised cyst or blood clot that has not healed on its own.

Was a CT scan done 2 years ago? Has it been ordered this time around? Have you as yet seen her pediatrician? Was there a repeat injury? You could be unaware of the injury, so you could ask other family members who could have seen her trip in the house or hurt herself against a piece of jutting furniture without your being aware of it.

Coming to the issue of fever: it is probably due to the same reason that caused the swelling (lump) this time around. Is it possible that these two things are due to a local infection of the scalp ... such as a large boil; it is also possible that the "cyst" I spoke about earlier has got infected.

In the circumstances, the correct thing to do would be to see her pediatrician and consider a repeat imaging scan so that matters are resolved.

Do revert to me with answers to my queries.

Thank you.

With best wishes for a favourable outcome to your daughter's current problem,

Dr. Taher