Having itchy bumps at the belt line and arm. What could it be?

I have a string of itchy bumps right at the belt line that is now 8 or 9 inches long and nearly continuous. It does not look like poisonivy. There are no blisters. I have two additional itchy bumps, one on my bottom and one under my arm that can not be mosquito bites. I first suspected chiggers but the long string is too big. I'm 69 and male in good health. XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

You have itchy bumps over belt line,under arm and on the bottom.

All these areas are relatively moist and under humid environment.

Such areas are prone to fungal infections.

So itchy bumps can be due to fungal infections most probably dermatophytic infections.

Other possible thing is allergic dermatitis.

There are some more diagnosis but they are not so common in day to day practice.

Exact diagnosis needs visual impression and it will be better if you upload a photograph.This facility available in this forum.I hope i can guide you in a much better way after going through photograph.

Till then you can try following measures

1.Use loose cotton undergarments.

2.Keep area dry.

3.Use a good antifungal powder over affected area which will give some soothing effect.

4.Do not apply any over the counter steroid creams,at times steroid can worsen the fungal infections.

I hope we can continue our discussion once you upload a photograph.Waiting for your response.