Having intermenstrual bleeding. Pelvic ultrasound showed bulky and anteverted uterus. What does this mean?

May 2013
Can you tell me what this means on a pelvic ultra sound. The uterus is bulky and is anteverted, measuring 11.2cm length & 4.9 x 7.6cm cross section. Endometruim is 10mm thickness with slight increase in vascularity at endometrium on color doppler with some variability in echotexture of the endometrium. I had the ultrasound because of intermenstrual bleeding.
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 32 minutes later

according to your ultrasound report,
uterus size in more than normal, that is why it is mentioned as bulky,
anteversion in normal position of uterus,
endometrial thickness will range from 1mm to 8mm in the menstrual cycle,
immediately after periods it will be around 1mm, then just before periods it will reach around 7 to 8mm,
so your endometrial thickness is somewhat more,
and normally there will be uniform echo texture,
above features and your complaint indicating the possibility of some hormonal imbalance like irregular shedding of endometrium, in which endometrium will present in different stages at different sites,
so to find out this and also to rule out any other abnormalities like metropathia hemorrhagica better to go for endometrial sampling once which will find out the actual cause of your problem and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.