Having headache and constant thumping in head while lying down. Easy way to get cure?

i have constant thumping in my head especially when i'm lying down also have had a headache on the right side of my head for quite a long while which is worse when couth or sneeze and when i strain .
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Headaches experienced on one side of the head are usually seen in migraines. More common in women. Individuals diagnosed with migraine headaches usually belong to early adolescent or peri-menopausal and menopausal age groups. Other symptoms of migraine headaches are:
-Photophobia (irritation or aggravation of condition on seeing bright light)
-Irritation or aggravation of condition when exposed to noises
-Pre-migraine headache (a mild headache experience before the migraine headache starts)
-Pulsation (in your description thumping) felt in head
-Vomiting/nausea (more rare)
-Pre-migraine XXXXXXX (mostly visual; eg. black spots in vision, floaters, etc.)

Please note that not all symptoms need to be present for a diagnosis. Migraines are usually triggered by either poor diet (long gaps between meals), lack of sleep, stress, extreme temperatures; among other causes.

The main advise would be to recognize your symptoms early and educate yourself about your condition, finding the cause or triggering factor can greatly help.

Treatment includes oral medications taken early (before main migraine headache starts) like propanolol, sumatriptan or NSAID group of drugs.

I hope this information helps in better understanding your condition. Do write back to me for further information or clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.