Having headache. Suggested due to tension. Prescribed stool softer and Miralax. Feeling tender head. What can be done?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
My Dad has been having pain on top of his head when straining during a BM. We went to our family Doctor who said it was tension due to the straining. Advised him to use stool softness and Miralax. As long as he doesn't strain he doesn't have the pain but says his head feels tender.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry at this stage

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question and I can understand what you are going through.
When we strain during a bowel movement its normal to have an increased intracranial pressure and this may cause pain.
But it is a transient phenomenon and the pain stops when the pressure is releived. Your doctor has prescribed some stool softners and that should be useful. Regarding the local tenderness, intracranial causes will never cause local tenderness. Its mostly any inflamation or infectiln of skin and soft tissue extracranially that causes tenderness . If its been just a few days nothing to worry but if persists beyond 7 to 10 days then the local area needs to be reinspected. Meanwhile if the pain is troublesome the he can use paracetamol for the same.
Hope that helps.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Having headache. Suggested due to tension. Prescribed stool softer and Miralax. Feeling tender head. What can be done? 9 hours later
He said when it first started he felt pain even when he pushed the top of his head now he says it is just sore as long as he doesn't have to strain. We first went to Doctor on August 30th. He is worried about a stroke. I am just hoping it is nothing more serious. Should I not be overly concerned at this point.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is certainly not a stroke.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow-up query.
it is certainly not a stroke. The pains your father is describing are musculo-skeletal type. The same could have occurred due to awkward posturing during sleep or due to cervical spine degeneration. Most of these pains reduce with time and rest. However if they persists then a X-ray cervical spine needs to be done.
Also keep his blood pressure monitored. And do continue with the stool softners.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Having headache. Suggested due to tension. Prescribed stool softer and Miralax. Feeling tender head. What can be done? 6 hours later
Even though the pains were very bad when he was getting them? He does say his head is feeling better so hopefully that is a good sign. So I shouldn't be overly concerned at this point?

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to be overly concerned.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Headaches of intra cranial hemorrhage (stroke) are very sever and then it takes a gradual deteriorating course. This cannot be a stroke. If the headache has reduced then there is no need to be concerned at this stage. Just give it some time.
Its a good sign,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy