Having frequent cough and throat related problems. Smoking. Suggest screening test as preventive measures for cancer?

Hi Doctor,
In recent past I've seen few cases of sudden cancer in my friends circle. And they didnt have any particular symptoms and they got cancer all of sudden. I am little worried about my health and want to know is there any test or screening which can be taken periodically as a preventive measure against this disease
And, I am having frequent cough and throat related problems may be because of my smoking habit. Please suggest.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 44 minutes later

It is true that many times cancer sets in without warning but on many occasions early symptoms are ignored which leads to late diagnosis. Also important is to have healthy habits and stay away from XXXXXXX addictions like tobacco. Tobacco is responsible for most cancer deaths in India than anything else.

At your age, there is no specific screening test for cancer (if you do not have any suggestive family history). But I would strongly recommend smoking cessation for you. Also get yourself examined by an ENT surgeon to rule out any significant illness at present.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any further follow-up queries.