Having fainting episode, bladder incontinence and headache. Test showed calcified granuloma. Should I be worried?

Nov 2013

My husband had a fainting episode 2 months ago, accompanied with upward rolling of eyes, gasping for breath followed by vigorous movements of head and upper torso . bowel and bladder incontinence also occurred during this brief episode of 4-10 mins. The CT , EEG and blood reports came out normal. About a month after this, he started getting very bad headaches esp after his workouts in the morning. He also sweats excessively.This happened everyday for almost a week. Though the headaches have stopped and he feels absolutely fine, on my insistence, we met a neurophysician who suggested that an MR Angiogram of his brain be done. After the test, the neurologist ruled out any problem with his brain. The MR Angiogram report mentions a calcified granuloma in his left Frontal white matter; other features were normal. Is there something we should be worried about ?
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
First of all, let me reassure you that the findings on the MR angiogram are minor and nothing to be worried about.
Calcified granuloma in the brain in our country is most often due to healed tapeworm infection. This means that he would have got the tapeworm infection of the brain sometime earlier and the worm has died, leaving a calcified lesion in the brain.
The symptoms in your husband could be due to seizures (fits). I feel fits are more likely, as calcified lesions can give rise to fits.
As of now, medicines to control fits may not be required; however, if he has more similar episodes in future, medicines may be required.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have further queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
XXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospital, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Having fainting episode, bladder incontinence and headache. Test showed calcified granuloma. Should I be worried? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXX for the reply.
It is a great relief to know he's alright.

Regards, XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you and best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar