Having difficulty in swallowing, choke on water and balance problems. Spot on lung. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I am having diffuculty swallowing I occasionally choke on water. Am told I need a hip replacement.I have balance problems.A spot on my lung is being evaluated.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

1. Some liquids, like water, can pose choking hazards because of the lack of thickness. Speak to your doctor or nutritionist about thickening agents and substitutions. Choking is a serious health hazard, even in case of water.

2. Hip replacement might have been advised to improve your quality of life. You must be having limited locomotion due to your hip arthritis. Cortisone shots may temporarily improve the pain but if your general condition is good, a surgery will improve your daily living.

3. Balance centers are located in the cerebellum part of brain and balance is also mediated through the vestibular system located in inner ear. A consultation with a neurologist may help as a detailed clininal examination is important including performing detailed clinical tests for balance. A CT scan or MRI scan of brain might be necessary if not done earlier.

4. I would like to know complete details on the spot in your lung before I could give an opinion. Please do let me know the radiological appearance of the spot. They must be evaluated by size, number, appearance(focal or diffuse), any calcification within, growth on repeat X rays or scans and any other clinical problems like fever and cough.

Hope your initial query is answered.
Do write in with an update.

Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Having difficulty in swallowing, choke on water and balance problems. Spot on lung. Should I be worried? 54 minutes later
The spot on the right lung is in the upper chamber. Thank you for your advice on hip replacement. I am in overall excellent health but that fall delayed me overall recovery. My husband is deceased and I am living alone. A lot would depend on recovery, rehab and help from my out of town daughters. I will have a return visit to my doctor, Dr. Terral,m ortho specialist. I do not want to have a hip replacemt
until I know if the lung spot is cancerous. A CT is scheduled for Nov. 11,

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please find setailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

I firmly understand your situation and am glad that you are in overall excellent health for your age. I'm just hoping that the lung spot is not cancerous, however, we have to wait until the CT scan chest happens, which is around a month later. CT scan gives a lot of information on such spots and if they are worrisome.

Considering your age and hip arthritis, can you request the hospital authorities for an earlier CT scan date? That would help a great deal.

I would be glad to help you out with anything else at the moment. Do send in your X XXXXXXX now/ CT scan report (when its done) if desired.

Hope your initial query is answered.
Do write in with an update.

Dr.Vivek