Having cough and red bumps in throat. Prescribed Amoxicillin and zithromycin. What can be done?

Hello, i am 24 Male. I have a really bad cough since almost 2 months now, 3 weeks ago i went to see a doc and he looked at my throat, ears and nose and prescribed me Amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day for 10 days. And it didn't work, i went back a week ago and i got prescribed zithromycin 250mg 1x a day for 6 days and that dint work either. i still have cough and red little few dots in the throat and i am not sure whats going on. I never got fever, chest pain, or pain swallowing or anything else. I don't know If its a soar throat or strep throat. After my personal online research on the red bumps behind my tongue i believe its granular pharyngitis. I was thinking to go see another doc, what tests should i order? I am going on a vacation next week to mexico and i am concerned if i should go back to the doc and get higher dose of antibiotics or it will just get better with time?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 minutes later

Based on the description you provided, the cause for the cough you have could be pharyngitis. I think the infection has subsided incompletely due to antibiotic failure.

I suggest you to get a throat swab culture and antibiotic sensitivity done. In here a small amount of secretions and debris from the pharynx is taken using a swab and subjected to conditions which allow the bacteria affecting to grow.
Then the grown pathogen is subjected to certain tests to identify the strain and also subjected to different antibiotics to identify the best antibiotic suitable.

Placing you on the antibiotic which is most effective according to the test would treat your infection completely.

After giving the sample for test, do gargle with antiseptic solution like Chlorhexidine twice daily after food for three days to contain the infection.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.