Having cold, irritation in nose and sneezing. Unable to breath properly due to blockage. Took sinarest. Suggest to get rid of cold?

I have cold from last 1 month, one day it will be fine n one day it will be worse, I feel irritation in my nose and if I rub it, sneezes get started and running nose starts n later nose will be blocked.
I am not able to take my breathe properly during nights due to blockage. initially took sinarest for a week or so and stopped it. I have sinus (not severe blockage).
please help me how can I get rid of this cold.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic measures will help.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking at XXXXXXX

The difficulties you are mentioning seems to be due to allergic rhinits. Since it is long standing, you need to follow a strict protocol to get better. Please do the following suggestions. If you do not feel better with this, make sure you visit an ENT surgeon, to check it out.

- Drink only warm water. Avoid drinking anything cold.
- Warm saline gargles, at least 3-4 times a day.
- Steam inhalation with Cap. Karvol Plus dissolved in the water.
- Tab. Celin 500mg (Vitamin C) 3 times daily for one week.
- Make sure you wash your face and limbs with warm water whenever you return from outside.
- Certain decongestants are available. But, I would not advise them as it causes rebound congestion. So, it is better to avoid them.
- Tab. Levocetrizine 5 mg can be taken before going to sleep.

I hope these measures should help you if you are strictly following it. Let me know if I can assist you further.