Having cancer in lungs, spine, groin, neck and shoulders. On hormone injection. Alternate treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband had a PSA test for his prostate it was just under 3,000. His cancer is everywhere and I was shown the x-ray its in his lungs spine groin neck and shoulders. He has had a hormone injection and the first result is now 74 PSA. However the Oncologist said this may slow progress as there is no other treatment.
Where else can it progress too and what is the prognosis as I darent ask.
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
I can understand your concern. Since the cancer has metastasised to lungs and spine, the prognosis is poor. The 3-year survival after metastasis is less than 5%.
The metastasis can further affect all the body organs including brain and liver. Lowering of PSA levels decreases the disease progression but cannot revert the changes that have already taken place.
Only symptomatic and supportive treatment is given along with to increase the quality of life.
It is best to stay close to him and spend a quality time together so that you have some good memories to cherish.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having cancer in lungs, spine, groin, neck and shoulders. On hormone injection. Alternate treatment? 7 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I have one more question. As they have now got his pain sorted he is planning to come home and fancies a holiday. All facilities at home are no longer here and I know it isnt possible.
I want to do what he wants but the drugs are telling him he can now walk and will manage at home and I am finding things more exausting every day I go. If I say it isnt possible he says I dont want him home.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
I am sure he will feel more comfortable at home even with lesser facilities.
It is best to give him a quality life - the way he wants it.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.