Having abdominal pain and diagnosed with GERD and gastritis. Experiencing shortness of breath and nervous. Treatment?

Dec 2014

Hi, i firstly noticed abdominal pain 2 months ago. I did all the tests and was diagnosed with gerd and gastritis. That mild pain is still here and i also have shortness of breath (checked lungs and heart, everything ok by tests). I noticed im quite nervous lately because of that constant abdominal pain. I believe that they made a wrong diagnosis and that there is something wrong with me but everyone from my friends, family and doctors keep telling me that im ok. I started isolating myself (spent most of time at home) and all i can think of is this pain and shortness of breath which is affecting my whole life. Could this all be due to health anxiety?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 32 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You are a 29 years old male and had abdominal pain 2 months ago and was diagnosed with GERD and Gastritis which is a minor and a common condition. You have developed shortness of breath along with mild pain. You have started remaining nervous because of this mild pain. You have started remaining alone and are preoccupied with pain and shortness of breath.

You have diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia also. It is common to have anxiety in anaemia also. Shortness of breath is main presenting feature. Low thyroid levels are common cause of anxiety. So get your thyroid levels checked.

Health anxiety or hypochondriac concerns are most likely possibility. You have been reassured by doctors that everything is normal still you have mild pain along with breathing problems, you remain preoccupied with the concern that there is something abnormal and wrong. You believe that they have made wrong diagnosis. These are hypochondriac concerns. I reassure again that most likely there is nothing abnormal. Try to exercise daily, practice Breathing Exercises, Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercises for quick relaxation.

If you fail to get relief with exercise consult a Psychiatrist. Medicines are not usually needed and just Behavior Therapy with relaxation exercises helps in improvement.

Thanks, if you have more questions you can ask again.