Have swollen tongue. Allergic to corn. Took benadryl. What test should be done?

i have a swollen tongue and am wondering if i have a corn allergy.I have linked some issues I have had with breathing, hives, etc. with a allergic reaction to corn and caffeine. I have never had an allergy test done. Tonight I have a new tongue is swollen. My breathing seems OK for now. I took a small amount of benadryl and some ibuprofen and I am waiting it out. I am wondering if this could be the corn allergy as I unknowingly consumed corn syrup in several food items today. and should I have an allergy test done and ask my doctor for an epi (spelling?) pen? I am hoping my chest stays open and I am glad we are close to a hospital..just in case the chest should get tight.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

If you get these symptoms every-time you eat corn or have caffeine, then it is very likely to be an allergic reaction.Again, if benadryl is helping to relieve symptoms, then it points more towards allergy.

Your symptoms surely demand an allergic test.Though your doctor is more likely to rely more on your past history and symptoms.

First line treatment is generally antihistaminics and if needed, steroids.Your doctor can help you decide about medications.

As you have mentioned, keep close watch on your symptoms, particularly shortness of breath. Ask some to keep watch on you during sleep as well or you can get up in between to evaluate your symptoms.

Any progress in symptoms warrants ER visit.

Hope this answers your question.Please feel free to ask if there are doubts.

Follow-up: Have swollen tongue. Allergic to corn. Took benadryl. What test should be done? 22 minutes later
my breathing seems OK...little bit of a stuffy nose though. Tongue is a little better..I think. It has been a couple hours since symptoms started so I would guess anaphylatic shock is not a worry for now?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 27 minutes later
Thanks for follow up.

In your situation anaphylactic shock is out of question. Anaphylactic shocks generally occur instantly after exposure to the allergens, and are more likely to occur on the first few occasion of exposure. Since you have previous history of similar complaints, possibility of this seems less likely.

But, sometimes regular allergy symptoms can spread to wind pipe/trachea and compromise it due to swelling and edema. This is the main concern in your case.

Since symptoms are decreasing, I don't think there will be any airway compromise. So just keep a watch. And consider seeing an allergy specialist sooner.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.