Have swollen lymph node in neck. Tests negative for lymphoma. Have chest pain and result showed density in chest

Oncologist
Question
I had many tests including surgery to rule out lymphoma earlier this year for swollen neck lymph nodes. They all came back negative but I have been having left chest pain and had a CXR that showed 1.2 cm density in upper left chest area. Could this be lymphoma? Or some other cancer? What else could it be? I am 38. Otherwise healthy. Not over weight.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question. Regarding what was found in your lung There are a few different possibilities. Of course the most worrisome one that we consider is some type of cancer. Often however small growths in the lungs are benign.

This could represent scar tissue or possibly some type of remnant of a previous infection. Your doctor might request additional imaging studies including a PET scan.

If this particular scan identifies that the area in the lung is hyperactive then a biopsy might be requested. Otherwise if it appears benign a subsequent CT scan in about six months would be reasonable.

Thank you again for sending your question. I can appreciate that you were dealing with a very stressful situation. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node in neck. Tests negative for lymphoma. Have chest pain and result showed density in chest 4 hours later
If this were some type of lymph node issue or lymphoma would it show up that way in a CXR? Also, since I had an excisional biopsy that was negative, am I out of danger of lymphoma? Are those ever wrong? Sorry for all of the questions. I had 3 lymph nodes removed from my neck. THank you

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 hours later
Hello and thank you for the additional question.

Lymphoma would not necessarily show up on a chest x-ray.

Since you had excisional biopsies done this is a very good way for a pathologist to a guy with the specimen and rule out lymphoma. It sounds like you do not have Lymphoma in my opinion.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if I can be of any additional specific assistance.

Dr. Galamaga